Re: Dry Dichromate and Gum, was Re: News from APIS

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/23/03-01:20:03 PM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

. The mystique associated with adding it "dry" is
> simply that, a mystique, IMO.

I understand that the reason for adding it dry is so that you can vary
the strength without having to keep solutions of various strengths
around; it's simply for convenience in mixing. The reason I referred to
a "mystique" associated with the practice is that when Dave asked a
reasonable question: what's the difference between putting the
dichromate dry into the gum and then adding the water, versus mixing the
dichromate solution first and adding it to the gum that way? his
question was dismissed with a reference to all hat and no cattle. This
suggests to me that the practice has been raised in some minds to the
level of mystique, because the right answer is, it doesn't make any
difference at all, except for ease of mixing the dichromate at different
strengths for different emulsions.
kt