Re: Bromo-iodide Silver Gelatin Emulsion as an Alternative process.

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 07/23/03-09:34:07 PM Z

From: Scott Walker <walker@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Bromo-iodide Silver Gelatin Emulsion as an Alternative process.
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:08:54 -0400

> I am trying to reproduce a traditional panchromatic B+W emulsion
> which I can apply to glass plates.

Here's the deal: I'll work on dyes, and share the info, if you work on
coating and drying in total darkness. I've been looking for dyes to
sensitize for infrared, since I'd love to photograph infrared images
on glass plates. Panchromatic images are abundant now...

> My problem is that I cannot find any decent recipes
> with sensitizer dyes to achieve panchromatic sensitivity. Does anyone have
> references to either recipes or dyes and their use as sensitizers? Or how
> about the recipe to the recently deleted Verichrome Pan?

If you have crappy recipes, please share it with us.

I have a pretty comprehensive references to modern sensitizing
dyes. Some of them are available from laboratory supply companies,
especially the ones that are also used outside of silver photography.

Synthesis of those dyes are pretty difficult, requiring multiple
stages of reactions and purifications. I'd rather find ones that are
used at least for laser or other physics related research that can
also be used for photography, and buy them (expensive).

Are you currently making iodobromide emulsions? Do you care to share
your formula and your sensitometric results? Using sensitizer adds
another set of variables for speed, fog level, etc.

By the way, I am running a silvergrain mailing list, which
specifically discuss emulsion making, coating, and actual imaging
using such materials, whether it is paper, plates, film, or whatever.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"I can't believe I'm here.