Re: Dry Dichromate and Gum, was Re: News from APIS

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/24/03-12:03:23 AM Z

Clay wrote:

. By
> adding dry dichromate to the gum directly, you can greatly reduce the
> total amount of water in the mix, and increase its viscosity, which can
> lead to some extremely smooth coatings. This may not be something
> desirable for everyone - I don't know.

What you seem to be suggesting here is that smooth coatings are
available only to people using less water, and that only those not
caring about smooth coating would use more water, which is a false
assumption on both counts. Dave Rose, I believe has told us that he uses
both saturated ammonium and saturated potassium dichromates; a look at
his straight gum prints should disabuse a person of the notion that one
can't get smooth coatings using saturated dichromate in solution. (Sorry
to keep using you as an example, Dave, but you're such a good example of
the ideas I'm trying to get across.)
Katharine Thayer