RE: Gum Pigments

From: Keith Gerling (keith@gumphoto.com)
Date: 07/26/03-01:32:16 PM Z

Clay,

I find both Createx and Mixol very useful for a number of reasons, the
primary ones being: 1) being liquid, they are easy to measure and its very
easy to just add a drop here-and-there to an existing emulsion batch, and 2)
they are both very strong, i.e., the color goes a long way. Yes, used with
paper (they are great when used on aluminum or glass) they have a tendency
to stain, but I have used them successfully on paper with very thick
emulsions (but not as a primary pigment). I will admit that they are rather
tricky, and that the sizing agent makes a big difference. One thing I've
noticed: if the Createx emulsion is going to stain, you usually notice it
right away - that is as soon at the emulsion hits the paper it looks grainy.
So I just test it on a corner of the print, and if it grains up, I know that
not going to work. All in all, my take on Createx is that it isn't really
worth the trouble. Createx is a sledge-hammer. There's very little
subtlety to the color palette as compared to many of the beautiful
watercolor choices, but if you have a big batch of emulsion sitting there
needing to be "grayed-down" there is no easier way then to add a couple
drops of a complementary Createx color. Hope this helps.

Keith