Re: Gum Pigments

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 07/26/03-12:02:33 PM Z

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 12:43 PM, Sandy King wrote:

> I agree with Judy on this. As a carbon printer I have tested hundreds
> of different pigments from a variety of sources, from tube watercolors
> to automotive supply pigments to Createx to aqueous dispersions
> available at home supply stores. This experience tells me for a fact
> that some pigments, or their dispersal agents, harden gelatin and
> leave a high fog density that makes clean highlights impossible. If
> this happens with gelatin I strongly suspect it would also happen with
> gum, and that would result in a stain, an/or make the print difficult
> to clear.
>
> Sandy King

Just to throw a couple of cents in here, has anyone besides myself
tried using Createx pigments in a gum coat? Admittedly, I did not do
any sort of extensive testing with the material, but my first two
attempts at using Createx burnt umber pigment in a gum coat were SO
awful that I quickly abandoned the trial and went back to the
relatively trustworthy tubes of watercolor. The createx burnt umber
stained horribly and I could never get it to look any thing but very
grainy. Anybody every make this stuff work?

Clay