RE: Was Gum Q&A, now is Berger Method of Gum

From: Keith Gerling (keith@gumphoto.com)
Date: 07/26/03-11:57:51 AM Z

Chris sez:

     If you do a search under Berger method, I bet you'd turn up some stuff
on the alt list. It has only been within the last...5 months. There is
NOTHING in the literature on gum that I have ever read that talks about
multicoating with no development until after the final layer, so I credit
Philippe Berger with the invention. If I am wrong here, someone will chime
in. Keith, were you doing it before Berger? If so, where did you first hear
about it?

Keith responds:

I don't read French, so I'm not really certain what is involved with the
Berger method. My understanding was that Philippe Berger has employed
various controls that allows him to work with multicolors, and has
"fine-tuned" the method for use with monochrome. In any event, I know
absolutely nothing about the details of his procedure, but if anyone has
more information, I'd love to hear it. As for multicoating prior to the
first development, I first did this five years ago, when I was first
experimenting with gum. At that time, my approach to gum was in trying to
emulate the detail and tonality of metal-based photography, and I was
putting gum over kallitype. I found the multicoat/one-development method to
be lacking in control. At present, I use this method as another tool in the
box. I still can't control it, but I do enjoy some of the surprise it
affords. Usually, I vary the contrast of the coats, employ pre-flashing, or
vary the colloid used in order that the layers react differently when the
development process begins.

Chris, thanks for the details of your process. You've obviously taken this
approach to a new level.

Keith