Re: And now for some Gum Q&A

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/26/03-09:05:36 AM Z

Stuart W Melvin wrote:

> I'm working with a multiple neg. image (one sharp/one soft) at the moment
> and I'm interested in finding out if anyone has any in depth knowledge or
> successful results with multiple coating and exposure prior to development.

I haven't been very interested in this multiple-exposure before
developing idea for my own work, although Christina did get me curious
and I tried it a few times just for fun. The reason I wouldn't use it
in my own work is that I almost always use at least two different
negatives, for different parts of the tonal range, and that wouldn't
work because each subsequent printing would wipe out the effects of the
previous ones, and you'd end up exploring the depths of opacity, or
whatever that great phrase was of Keith's. I understand that your case
is subtler, but thinking about it, I can't convince myself that even
with the subtle difference between sharp and soft, your two negatives
might not cancel each other out.

My other observations from the couple prints I made: it's fun and quick
and I think Chris is right, it would be a way to get beginners into
making gum prints fast. But as for control, forget it. Even with a
negative that I know well and have used hundreds of times for test
prints, I found that the whole is not the same as the sum of the parts,
if you get my gist.
kt