Re: Dry Dichromate and Gum, was Re: News from APIS

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/27/03-12:57:38 AM Z

Stuart W Melvin wrote:

> Hey Sam,
>
> I'm wondering if you might be able to elaborate on the viscosity of the gum
> solution you use. Have you ever measured it with a baume meter?

Sorry to jump in here, but just thought I'd interject the comment that
you're making the same mistake I'd been making all my life until a
couple of weeks ago, when Gordon enlightened me. A baume meter
(hydrometer) measures specific gravity, not viscosity, and what's more,
the two are not related to each other. This information came to me like
the apple falling on Newton's head, and this is why I asked the other
day the speculative question about differences in viscosities between
gums. I don't know if any of us has the equipment to answer this
question; if someone does I'd sure like to know about it.
Katharine