Mediterranean Literature, digitals scales and micro-piezo...

From: Bob and Carla (bb333@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/27/03-02:20:29 PM Z

Dear Sandy,
     I was even more glad to meet you here in Chicago than I expected!
 It was great to see your Carbon printing for my first time...the
large Kallitype you showed was great, and I was amazed by the large
Palladium print, in that it was made from a digitally-enlarged
Pictorico negative. In fact, I now have PT/PD prints on exhibit in
Italy, made with Pictorico negs, due to the fidelity in your work that
I saw here. Didn't you say that you scanned your 5"x7" negs on an
Epson 2450 Perfection scanner? My own experience with a cheaper Epson
scanner with a 35mm transparency scanner was less than satisfactory. I
scanned some Ektachromes and Fujichromes, and there was some granular
artifact that looked like oatmeal that was slightly larger than the
grain of the ASA 100 film, obscuring the grain itself. I'm assuming
that you you don't see that phenomenon with yours. I also assume that
to put your negs emulsion down, on the glass. Do you use any scanner
mounting oil?
    Also, I may have been you that recommended a company that offered
some nice digital scans on sale, one Brand of which was Toyo (I think
that was one you recommended) and I noticed that they have a portable
Toyo that had .01gm repeatability and 250gm capacityfor a very good
price. It has a shelf that folds over the scale surface, and I
wondered if you knew if these portable digital scales, given their
accuracy, are durable and reliable enough, or whether it better to
just go with a heavier, less portable option?

Thanks for the previous demonstrations and also in advance for
whatever advice you can offer!
Bob Barnes