Naive B/W (okay s/g)neg. ((pd/pt)) question.

From: Halvor (halvorb@mac.com)
Date: 07/27/03-07:18:18 PM Z

Hi group,,

I was just wondering, is "normal" black&white neg films somehow optimised
for the contrast/density of normal grade B/W papers ?

I assume the "target" density range of the neg should match the tonal
lattitude of the paper. Or is simply the flexibillity of silver density in
combination with the multitude of development possibilities large enough
that this is not really an issue ?

I mean, is there an "optimal quality" point for gamma/sharpness/grain size/,
and so on, or is this all up to what you dip it in and the weather ?

if so, would it be possible (/ any point in), designing a(n ideal) film for
Pd/Pt ?

Not that I have any plans to start any project of this kind, just curious.

Halvor Bjørngård

Scott, thanks for the book recomendation, after carefull counting of my yens
it has been ordered :).

Did actually see Tadaaki Tani last year, didnt dare to touch his suit though
!)