Re: Re: Dry Dichromate and Gum, was Re: News from APIS

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@bresnan.net)
Date: 07/28/03-08:24:19 PM Z

Greetings from Big Wonderful Wyoming,

My frustration with the Cibachrome process was the impetus to begin gum
printing 13 years ago. I'd been printing 16x20" Cibachrome prints from 4x5
Ektachrome originals. After elaborate production of highlight and contrast
masks to tame contrast, I was still experiencing a red shadow/cyan highlight
color shift. Certain subject matter (images of Indian rock art) looked
absolutely horrible on Cibachrome. So I turned to gum for greater control.
Using umber and sienna pigments with gum yielded prints of stunning beauty.
Although the color was not precisely 'correct', it was so appropriate and
natural for the subject matter that it simply worked.

Paint used for ancient Indian rock art was created using charcoal, iron
oxide, and other inorganic pigments. This was not exactly gum printing
(very funny Clay), but close in spirit.

You can see some of my petroglyph/pictograph images at:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/dave_rose.html

Best regards,
Dave Rose