Re: Now for something completely different (from gum)

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 07/28/03-09:02:30 PM Z

Thanks Sam,

I think the dichromate additive would do the trick. It will harden the
gum (and whatever is in suspension) when it is hit by UV light. That
should fix it. (I think.) I did a test later in the day... after
mulching... and got a really good image on glass (using a 2200 with Cone
Piezo black inks and a new curve I worked out), but watched it dissolve
away as I rinsed the plate. Gum alone just isn't enough, but the sight
of the image was truly exciting.

If the gum/dichromate/cyano combo is a bust. I'll go back to gelatin. We
began there, but I wasn't involved yet and I think the glass wasn't
clean enough: the cyano layer moved all around, forming a lumpy mess. I
moved to using sodium hydroxide (5% solution) to clean the glass,
followed by distilled water and a clean paper towel wiping. Very clean!

to be continued...

P.S. ...since it is night, I'm firing up Big Bertha, my seldom used
metal halide UV plate burner. Roaches may be heading back south after
tonight. Heads up!

Darryl