Re: Dave Rose's Images

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@bresnan.net)
Date: 07/28/03-10:58:48 PM Z

Dear Chris,

Most of my gum and cyanotype/gum prints are made from 11x14" or 16x20"
negatives, with actual images closer to 10x13" and 15x19" respectively. I
leave a sufficient border area on my negatives to accomodate pin
registration and masking of edges.

All of my images are printed from either enlarged negatives or pinhole
camera negatives, made with lith film that's developed for continuous tone.
I've haven't experimented with digital negatives yet. Original film
formats: "Roadkill Dog" was a 35mm Kodachrome, "Clouds" a 2 1/4" square
Kodachrome, all others were 4x5" B&W negatives. "Fall Colors" was captured
with 3-color in camera B&W seperations that were subsequently contacted
printed (to create interpositives) and then enlarged to 11x14" negatives for
final printing as a 3-color cyanotype/gum. Sounds pretty darn tedious....
maybe I should be doing digital seperations and negatives! The "Clouds"
image was produced by alternately using both a film negative and positive.
There are no pinhole images on my alternativephotography.com gallery page.

The JPG's are quick copy stand digital photos of actual prints. It's
difficult to accurately gauge the quality of any image from a low resolution
JPG on a computer screen, however my prints do exhibit fine detail. I'm
pleased that you got that impression. Since picking up the view camera
years ago, I've been a fan of the Zone System and F64 philosophy, so that
approach carries over into my alt-photo work.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Big Wonderful Wyoming