Loose ends

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 07/28/03-07:32:52 PM Z

Just a couple of thoughts left over from the discussion that ensued from
APIS:

1. When I used Dave Rose's work as an example of gum work that has fine
detail and creamy tonal gradations, I was referring to his straight gum
prints, found at the bottom of the web page, not to the gum over
cyanotypes at the top. I thought his work was especially good to
illustrate my point because it epitomizes precisely the kind of detail
and tonal gradation that I think Stuart and his group have been working
to achieve in straight gum.

2. I loved Chris's mot: "ya do gum bad, ya get grit; ya do gum right, ya
get fine detail" but like Judy, I don't agree with it completely. That
is, I agree with it for my own work, but not as a general rule. The
wonderful thing about gum is that it allows such a range of expression.
For some peoples' work, grit is just the ticket; the work would lose
something if printed any other way. There's room for everyone in this
tent.

Katharine Thayer