Re: Dave Rose's Images

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 07/29/03-09:19:55 AM Z

Chris,

Let me interject here--about a year ago I visited Dave Rose at his Cactus
Ranch in Powell, Wyoming. He showed me countless gum experiments, and a
small number of finished prints that were simply wonderful. They were around
11x14 from 4x5 originals, traditional darkroom interneg technique. They had
all the detail and, more significant, all the smooth tonality of a platinum
print at the same degree of enlargement. With colors platinum can't produce.
My immediate reaction was that sometime--haven't found the time yet--I'd
just have to try making gum prints from direct in-camera negatives with the
goal of platinum print tonal transitions in colors platinum can't deliver.

I haven't seen Stuart's new work, but it's clear that high resolution,
smooth-tone gum printing is perfectly attainable, and not by any one magic
procedure. As others have noted, there's also no reason other than personal
preference to make high resolution and smooth tonality a major goal in any
photographic printmaking medium. Any print in any medium will be gritty if
it results from significant enlargement of the original negative. In the
right hands that grittiness is wonderful. Think Koudelka, or W.E. Smith, or
Salgado. The bromoil process, seldom mentioned on this list, also is capable
of effects ranging from silver print smoothness to wildly gritty texture
introduced in the printmaking, and all of this range is capable of
expressive result.

---Carl

PS: Dave also raises the most amazing cactus critters.

--
            Web site with picture galleries
            and workshop information