RE: Gum Pigments

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 07/30/03-10:45:51 PM Z

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Keith Gerling wrote:

> No, I haven't tested them. Thanks for that info. I've been dumping that
> stuff willy-nilly into all kinds of batches. Good thing I haven't really
> liked any of the prints, huh? :-)
>
> Keith

Actually, it's my understanding that in a MIX a fugitive color may be less
so. That is, I read in the Artists Equity newsletter a while back that an
EARTH COLOR, such as lamp black, will give some protection to colors that
would otherwise fade in UV light.

Sometime when I'm looking for something else I'll come across that item
(here from memory) & will share...

I never heard of Mixol, but I assume the Createx has dispersal agents...
Once I found it didn't clear I abandoned it. Another studio in the
East Village, name of Guerra (if memory serves), does a similar pigment in
wet mix which also does not clear. They told me it had a dispersal agent
--- a damn shame, because a cheap source of intense & archival color would
be sooooooo convenient.

My e-email queue is in a state of near-terminal hypertrophy, and I doubt
I'll get it sorted out in this lifetime. But I recall that someone asked
what KIND of dispersal agent I'd found doesn't work. He named 3 species,
distinctions I was totally unaware of. But I can say that the "Universal
Dispersant" that Golden paints gave me to try is an Octylphenoxy
polyethoxl ethanol, as written by hand of the CEO Mr. Golden on the label.
Does that answer any questions? It didn't work horribly.

Actually I doubt it's so much the particular dispersal agent type as the
fact of dispersal-ism.... sending the pigment so thoroughly into the paper
fibers it won't come out.

Judy