RE: Gum Pigments

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/31/03-07:53:16 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>I never heard of Mixol, but I assume the Createx has dispersal agents...
>Once I found it didn't clear I abandoned it. Another studio in the
>East Village, name of Guerra (if memory serves), does a similar pigment in
>wet mix which also does not clear. They told me it had a dispersal agent
>--- a damn shame, because a cheap source of intense & archival color would
>be sooooooo convenient.

Mixol is a bind-free multi purpose tinting paste. The dispersal
agent appears to be glycol, which does not appear to cause any
undesired hardening of the gelatin in carbon printing. It is widely
used as a coloring agent for adding to paint. If you go to the Mixol
web site you will find that some of the colors are light fast and
designed for outdoor use but others are for indoor use. If you go to
the Mixol web site you can find information about the light fastness
of specific colors.
http://www.mixol.de/com/techninformation/index_techninformation.html

Cal-Tint II is another brand of tinting paste similar to Mixol,
though with a slightly wider range of colors. I have not been able to
find any information about the last fastness of Cal-Tint II colors.

Both Cal-Tint II and Mixol can be purchased from Douglas and Sturgess
in San Francisco. www.artstuff.com, 1-800.art.stuff.

Sandy King