Re: Gum Pigments

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 07/31/03-08:50:41 AM Z

<Judy said> Hey Christina, I'll see you and raise you two drum rolls !!! I
have
> several of the books you mention and others-- as I'm sure you do as well
> -- tho I have never seen the Gum-Pigment Ratio Test before Anderson, who
> passed it to Henney and Dudley, who passed it to Crawford, who passed it
> to Scopick, and so forth...
>
> However, my point isn't that Anderson INVENTED pigment stain,

Hmmmm, that was your point of a post a while back that I was going on, as I
quoted from your post. So now, you are saying, that there is no
long-winded-complicated-pigment-stain test in any of the books before
Anderson. If that is your point, I fully agree with you--no book has fully
outlined a step by step method of testing pigment stain in a number of
paragraphs, as has Anderson. OH, except Demachy in 1898 (does he count?
:)).

But to return to the original point I was making (and, recheck your sources
I mentioned, the paper test is in there--I really try hard not to lie on the
internet-wink, wink, hehehehehe) --the problem of pigment stain was there in
the very beginning of gum, and most sources say to coat an extra piece of
the paper, or turn up an edge with no exposure, or to do an accordion of the
paper, to see if the pigment leaves the paper with development.

> necessarily that test (tho a quick scan of the Practical Photog book
> brings up nothing)

Scanning books quickly--na ga da. In fact, if I had read Kosar more closely
months ago I would've had some questions answered that I've been wondering
about.

> That is, he printed with 100% SODIUM DICHROMATE !!!

I've printed with 100% sodium dichromate, too, and reported to this list
that surprisingly, 100% sodium dichromate was NOT fast. Ugly, but not fast.

In fact, it is not faster than am di--at 100%! This blew me away, as I was
assuming that 100% of a dichromate solution would be obviously faster. I
will be testing this again at lower strengths and specific strengths to see
if my findings are repeatable, but they were enough to tell me sodium was a
waste of time--unless you like using a syrupy dichromate for some reason.
Kosar says sodium and potassium are equivalent in all respects, presuming,
of course, they are at the same level of concentration.
Chris