Re: traveling with photo chemicals

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/05/03-10:38:17 AM Z

-------Original Message-------
From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
Sent: 06/05/03 11:25 AM
To: Alt list <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Subject: traveling with photo chemicals

> Good morning!
     This is such a weird question, forgive me:
     Is there a problem with traveling long distances in a car with a
pound plastic jar of dry ammonium dichromate or potassium dichromate? My
husband is the one carrying the chemicals (driving 2 cars) and I would hate to
see his car extinguish ahead of me on the road :)
Chris

If the temperature will not rise above 140 degreees F, there should not be
a problem with either one. The ammonium salt, however, will decompose when
heated (don't have my reference book with me, but you can check the MSDS
for critical temperature). The potassium salt is quite stable unless heated
to ignition, which should not happen in your car. I do recommend, however,
that you wrap the jar in plastic (or put it in a plastic ziplock or
equivalent bag) and cushion it with bubble wrap or plastic foam pieces, just in
case (horrors! Let's hope not) the car is involved in an accident, to prevent
this very toxic material from causing even more trouble. Incomplete
answer, but without my reference material it's the best I can do from the top of
my head! --sil