Re: film - digital - POP

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 06/08/03-08:45:41 AM Z

As others have said, you really must have Dan's book
( http://www.danburkholder.com/Pages/main_pages/page1_main.htm ), also
the last issue of Post Factory had a lot of good info in it. Pictorico
is the choice of "paper" for most dig neg makers
( http://www.pictorico.com/ ).

Here is a VERY short outline: Make your image look as good as possible
in Photoshop. Apply the appropriate curve in photoshop for your process
and materials (the image now looks terrible!). Invert the image (makers
it a negative). Optional: depending on materials, process, printer, and
curve: colorize the negative to an orange/red color that blocks UV light
better than black ink. Print backwards on your inkjet printer.

The curve is the hard part. Dan's book has a number of curves included
on a CD. The model printer you use, the brand of ink, and the
paper/material you use all effect the output. That is to say that almost
all of us use Dan or a friend's curve as a starting point and then
adjust it to match our materials and methods. I "assume" (I've never
printed POP) that you would start with Dan's platinum curve and adjust.
Including a step table (also on Dan's book/CD or do it yourself
instructions in PF) helps alot while generating your curve.

Hope that helps.

On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Andy Buck wrote:

> I'm an old, long absent lurker with a new question. If this has been
> covered before, please direct me to the archives, or to the
> appropriate list.
>
> I would like to digitally enlarge 4x5 and/or 617 negatives to about
> twice the size for POP printing with gold toning. I've heard via word
> of mouth that some current printers are capable of making good
> negatives.
>
> Could anyone with experience in this scenario please comment? I realize
> this is 1/2 digital, but it's also 1/2 semi-alt...
>
> Thanks!
> Andy
>

> Do you Yahoo!?
Tom Ferguson