Re: a newbie's first post: gum, temperaprint, oil printing, sizing,and computer negatives

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 06/15/03-10:03:10 AM Z

Ha, believe me, Keith, if it is sour you know as SOON as you open the cap.
It is really stinky, like sour milk only worse. Actually, it smells like
rotten eggs. This only happened with the gum I mixed myself with no
preservative and with powdered pigment and soured within a couple weeks if
not a week. Ph Formulary's Bud said it sours immediately, within a day or
two, and he may even be right. It still works just fine, it seems to be a
bit thinner in consistency and I would assume the greater acidity would
increase the speed of the gum to an extent, kind of like adding lemon juice
as they used to do, but I have not done anything different in practice with
it. Except plug my nose. Frugality won't let me just toss the stuff down
the drain, but believe me, I am awaiting the day when I use it all up! The
next batches I mixed I added sodium benzoate to and they are just fine. My
gum from 5 years ago is also just fine--from Daniel Smith. No souring
there.
Chris