Re: a newbie's first post: gum, temperaprint, oil printing, sizing,and computer negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/15/03-09:11:15 PM Z

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> ... I would assume the greater acidity would
> increase the speed of the gum to an extent, kind of like adding lemon juice
> as they used to do,

Chris, have you tested the lemon juice gambit? I confess some
skepticism... that is, when I first noticed that different gums had
different speeds, I tried to correlate with pH and found ZERO connection
-- although admitedly I never added tried lemon juice.

However I have tried several other special additives of gum printing, like
mixing in -- as I recall it was magnesium sulfate -- and stuff like that.

Zip. Nada.... All of them.

J.