Re: ConeTech Digital Negatives

From: Grace Taylor (gtay22@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/16/03-06:47:30 AM Z

on 6/15/03 9:58 PM, Don Bryant at dsbryant@mindspring.com wrote:

> I've just finished printing my first digital negative using and Epson 1160
> with the ConeTech Piezography driver, MIS FSN with Eboni black ink and
> Pictorico OHP film. I applied Dan Burholder's ConeTech Curve for
> platinum/palladium on the inverted image and output via the Piezography
> driver with Dan's dot density recommendation of 105 and Unsupported Media as
> the media type.
>
> The negative produced looks very very thin, which I was sort of surprised to
> see. Is this normal? I would think that a negative this thin would print
> very quickly but will the tonal scale look normal in the print. The shadow
> areas, 90 to 100% in the positive, look almost transparent in the negative.
>
> A print of the inverted imaged with Burkholder curve applied does look weak
> and anemic but detail is visible through out the print.
>
> Is all of this normal or should I expect to do some major curve tweaking?
>
> Also contary to what I've read here on this list the ink seems to be smudge
> resistant and doesn't rub off.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Bryant

Don, I don't know of any way to be sure a curve is right without printing it
with whichever alt process you are using. Also, it's important to include a
step tablet that has also had the curve applied so that you can see how the
tones print. Tweaking is usually needed, and the step tablet shows where
it's needed. You didn't say what process you are using. I went through
this for Van Dyke, starting with Dan's platinum/palladium curve also, and
had to adjust it three times. Good luck. Grace