Re: a newbie's first post: gum, temperaprint, oil printing, sizing, and computer negatives

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/16/03-01:32:20 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> I do think your first problem is the paper choice, as Katharine pointed
> out. Try Rives BFK or Fabriano Uno or Bockingford or Arches Aquarelle.

A slight quibble; I did have a comment about charcoal paper and I
answered (in the negative) Devra's question about whether fixed out
photo paper is a good idea for gum, but I am not at all in agreement
with the sentiment attributed to me here, that Devra's first problem is
the paper choice. When beginners are having difficulties printing, a
change of paper, IMO, seldom is the answer to the problem. Beginners'
problems are almost always a matter of practice: of learning to
understand gum, pigment, dichromate, light, and how they work together.
Once that understanding is gained, then with few exceptions one can
print on about anything.
Katharine