Re: a newbie's first post: gum, temperaprint, oil printing,sizing,and computer negatives

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/16/03-08:46:10 AM Z

Hi Chris,
My studio has floor to ceiling north-facing windows and I coat and dry
the gum emulsion right by the windows, or under a regular 60-watt bulb
if the day is too dim to work by daylight, with no ill effect whatever.
There have only been a couple of days in three years that I've felt
there was so much light coming through that I needed to lower the
blinds. There is a west-facing window through which the sun shines
directly onto the coating table in late afternoon during the summer;
unfortunately that window doesn't have a blind. To tell a story on
myself: one day I was working on autopilot and coated a print with the
sun shining right on the coating table, so into what I was doing that I
didn't notice that the sun was there. After I printed and developed the
picture, I was baffled by an odd shape on my print, until it finally
dawned on me that it was the shadow of the windowframe as it fell on the
coated paper. (Duh!) It was a big, important print, so I've never made
that mistake again.
kt