Re: Need help making ferric oxalate

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 06/20/03-05:59:09 AM Z

> Ed Buffaloe wrote:
> I'm making ferric oxalate using the third method described in Dick
> Steven's book (potassium permanganate method). ... --what I've
> ended up with is some very rusty looking mud. Any advice?

Yes, use another production method.

There is an excelent discription of making ferric oxalate by Vicente-M.
Vizcay Castro in Chapter 5 of my e-guide from the link below. This
procedure can produce powdered FO of excelent quality rather easily.
Although some members of this list have produced quality liquid FO, I
have found the powder better to store and to give the highest and most
consistant quality. Also note that any FO powder will not be 100% pure
and is likely to vary from manufacturers so it is important to
compensate for this when making the working solution, if one is
interested is consistant and predictable results from various batches.

I also have some issues with Dick Steven's determinations of solution
strengths. Also keep in mind that while some oxalic acid in the FO
working solution can be benefitial, too much will degrade print quality
(see my guide, Chapter 15.)

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/