Re: up grade

From: David Jackson (lagniap@tulane.edu)
Date: 06/23/03-07:40:18 AM Z

John,

The trusted standard for video cards (not oriented towards video gaming) is
Matrox. The Matrox Millenium G450 can support dual monitors (only one color
managed, though), and the G550 can support digitial displays.

Matrox has also introduced the Parhelia card which will handle three
monitors. From what I can gather from the Matrox Parhelia marketing info,
you can't _really_ color manage three different monitors. Their three-head
display is intended for three identical monitors. What's more, in that
mode, you can only get three 1280x1024 displays. Fortunately, it can do a
pair of monitors at 2048x1536.

The Parhelia also offers 10-bit "Giga-color" display. This is something
that can only be used by
launching an applet or Photoshop plug-in. It doesn't just make the entire
display automatically ten bits deep. However, even in 8-bit mode, having a
10-bit DAC is useful because it keeps the color lookup table curves from
introducing posterization through round-off errors.

HTH

David Jackson

At 01:01 PM 6/22/03 -0400, you wrote:
>I am in the process of trying to upgrade my system a little . Can anyone
>recomend a good video card for applications in photo shop .. I have a
>500mhz pentium III board and will be running Windows xp .. I would like
>to set it up for dual monitors..
>Regards,
>John Cremati

David Jackson