Re: Re: what is glicee?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/23/03-05:18:58 AM Z

-------Original Message-------
From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@attbi.com>
Sent: 06/22/03 11:28 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: what is glicee?

> Catherine:
  The term has been employed to convince an unknowing public into thinking
an ink-jet print is something more than it is. I do not know my French
that
well but the common translation I've heard is that of "squirt". Ink-jet
printers, originally the Iris printer, squirt tiny drops of ink which are
precisely placed giving the illusion of a continuous tonality.
  I believe that purveyors of such prints Vs the photographic print needed
to use some term to substantiate worth. You might remember in the medium
of
photography we first sold black and prints. They were called photographs.
So
were color prints. Then, as the monetary value rose, dealers began to
notice
some images lasted longer. Some photographers then guaranteed their work
through consistent processing . . and on it went. Now we have
'chromogenic'
(color), 'silver gelatin' (b/w), non-silver processes (a misnomer), all
attempts to distinguish what is what. The 'Giclee', originally used by the
Iris prints, faded . and even washed away . . but, they were beautiful.
  Apparently the French use the term as a slang word for the male
ejaculation, hence some laughter at the term overall. But, really, any
person with a decent printer these days can call their work giclee prints.
The more pretentious the person the more apt they'll employ the term.

Jack Fulton

  Below is a typical web site statement . . .

INTRODUCING GICLEE PRINTS
Propaganda snipped...
  A couple of years ago, before Giclee was common, my ladyfriend, who is an artist, and I, were summarily asked to leave a gallery in Laguna Beach when I questioned the owner there a bit too closely about just exactly what it was. Since my friend had been working with Photoshop and making Iris prints we knew very well what they were. This guy was trying to put over a fraud and got very upset that we were wised up.

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA