Re: Digital camera

From: Tom Ferguson (tomf2468@pipeline.com)
Date: 06/27/03-10:40:39 AM Z

Henk, this "shutter delay" is common and troublesome on many/most
consumer digital cameras. I used quotes on "shutter delay" because it is
really "shutter and meter and autofocus and processor delay" on a
digital. You can force many/most consumer digital cameras to get the
"meter and autofocus and processor delay" done first by half pressing
the shutter button and HOLDING it half pressed until you want to take
the perfect "decisive moment", then completely pressing the shutter
button.

When you "half press" the shutter button the camera will wake up, meter,
and autofocus and then LOCK these parameters untill you release the
shutter button (so don't change your scene). This leaves you with only
TRUE "shutter delay", which is typically quite fast!

Yes, pro cameras are FAR better in this regard. I own the Fuji S2 (love
it) and use a friend's D100 on occasion and work at a studio with a 10D.
All "feel" at least 95% as fast as a good Nikon AF film body!

Of course, even the slowest most frustrating of the digital point and
shooting is far faster than my Burke and James 11x14 camera ;-)

Hope that helps.

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 09:22 AM, henk thijs wrote:

> <SNIP>
>> But what I missed in the whole discussion is the problem of pushing
>> that button and first of all nothing happens. I bought as an intro a
>> compact 'Kyocera Finecam S3L' for 400 Euro and was astonished about
>> the superb quality of the images; but if you want to anticipate on
>> changing events ( I just mean : if you want to do something else than
>> still-life or landscape) it could be a problem; pushing, pushing,
>> pushing, freezing and finally taking a different picture than one
>> intended to take.
>> What I understood is, that this is a minor problem with the pro-
>> camera's; and what about making more than one shot directly behind
>> each other? If you use a high resolution, it means automatically a lot
>> of bits and pieces to store on your memory card, and this takes some
>> time; also no problem with pro-camera's?? What do we have to pay for
>> this, apart from the 3,4,6, etc. MPixels??
>> Cheers,
>> Henk
>> --
>> Henk Thijs