Re: lemon juice and gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 06/28/03-08:55:39 PM Z

Hi Keith,
     It supposedly insolubilizes the gum without exposure, but I just don't
know how I could know that for sure--so I think your guess is as good as
mine on all this.
     I'm not sure how much to use either....the 1/9th amount didn't do
terribly much, and it may be that the 1/5 to 1/3 amount is the range...when
I came across it in Demachy, he say to "add a few drops" but he never
mentioned how many exactly and to what amount exactly of gum he was adding
it to. I also thought of maybe using glacial acetic--a drop--that'd really
make it acidic...
     I've got 250pp of gum stuff to go thru in the next week so I'll see if
I come across anything further about this. I'm glad someone sees a benefit
to this!
     One thing I did today, too was to do side by side exposures of am, pot
and sod di to see if there was a speed dif. I swear, am di is really fast!
It gives the clearest, sharpest steps of all three dichromates, is the
speediest, and sod is not much different than pot. I did this test with NO
pigment, just side by side straight dichromate. Then I cleared to see what
remained, and the am di was the only one that printed the numbers and the
words and the steps of the tablet. All were used at saturated solution,
too, am di 30%, pot di 10%, and sod di 100% (give or take a few molecules).
I had found out that Ponton when he first discovered the process was NOT
using pigment and gum in it; he was just coating paper to dichromates and
getting an orange/white image. So I got to thinkin'...
     I guess I can't seem to duplicate the supposed low contrast in am di,
as I find just the opposite is true, with no pigment, and with pigment.
Chris