matting and framing theory.. How to do it?

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 06/29/03-09:13:42 AM Z

       Jeff Buckels stated that white matted images look much better on a "middle" gray, "middle" green, "mid" blue and even red wall rather than on a stark white wall.... I agree. I had stated in anouther thread that I feel the white mat washes out the highlights and the black mat anilates the blacks.. I feel that the white wall is just a extension of the white mat...
       A question would be how to bring these " middle" colors into the matting and framing of the image for a picture that is typically displayed in galleries having stark white walls..? Do you think you could mat in these middle colors and get away with it ? Ideally you would want to compliment but not overpower your print.
       I think the the main objective in displaying a print is to create a special unique place in the world for it, with minimal distractions, so that all mental energy is focused on the photograph itself... The quandary is just how do you do this attractivley?
Regards,
John Cremati