beginners questions about gum print

From: Matti Koskinen (mjkoskin@koti.soon.fi)
Date: 03/01/03-08:21:06 AM Z

hi all

I just subscribed to this list after making my first gum prints. So of
course several questions arouse.

I'm a keen photographer, photographed since I got my first camera at the
age of 15. Now being on the pinhole-discussion list, my interest
gradually grew for trying alt-processes. Then I found one book from the
public library, Alternative processes (I think), written by the owner of
Silverprint.co (Sorry, can't remember names so well). First I tried to
get chemicals for cyanotype, but the minimum amount was a packet of 250g
from the pharmacy. Potassium dichromate was sold 10 grams, so I bought
some and started to practise. After failure with PVA-glue I got Arabic
gum and received some results. So the process works! Now my questions
(maybe stupid or FAQ, so please excuse me):

How sensitive is the gum print process to fogging? During daylight I
can't get my bathroom very dark. There's always light coming from two
glass doors. Also all the lamps in the house are changed to energy
savers, and they are some sort of fluorescent lamps. Do I have to worry?

Another one. What's the best way of preventing the paper getting curved
when it dries? I can't even think of trying multiple exposures with my
papers.

Also, if there is gum mixture left after brushing it onto paper, how
long it will last?

I've tried so far printing negatives with inkjet printer, both on paper
and transparency. What kind of contrast settings are best? I would just
like to practise my skills with single exposure, but not to get so
contrasty prints.

Sorry for lenghty first post.

Thanks a lot.

best from Finland