Re: beginners questions about gum print

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/01/03-05:14:10 PM Z

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Matti Koskinen wrote:

> How sensitive is the gum print process to fogging? During daylight I
> can't get my bathroom very dark. There's always light coming from two
> glass doors. Also all the lamps in the house are changed to energy
> savers, and they are some sort of fluorescent lamps. Do I have to worry?

Not a problem.... I coat by ordinary room light. Probably better to dry in
the dark... rig up a closet, or just under a table, with an electric fan
if possible, but NO HEAT.

> Another one. What's the best way of preventing the paper getting curved
> when it dries? I can't even think of trying multiple exposures with my
> papers.

Either tape to glass when it's nearly dry or press between two heavy
sheets of glass with or without a blotter underneath when nearly dry. Or
put in a drymount press when totally dry. Or size your paper on both
sides, won't wrinkle quite so much.

> Also, if there is gum mixture left after brushing it onto paper, how
> long it will last?

Maybe a day, or two if it's not too strong, but "speed" changes.

> I've tried so far printing negatives with inkjet printer, both on paper
> and transparency. What kind of contrast settings are best? I would just
> like to practise my skills with single exposure, but not to get so
> contrasty prints.

About 6-7 steps on a Stouffer 21-step -- you can probably find that and
lots more info in the archive -- there should be some "gum" threads.

It sounds like you're off to a lovely start. Enjoy....

Judy