Re: gum printing

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 03/01/03-09:07:26 AM Z

Also, in general gouache is less finely ground then watercolor because
watercolor is intended to be used in transparent washes but gouache is
intended for opaque application. This I have only read from literature, but I
don't know how applicable it is in gum printing. Maybe the coarser one is
actually better for our application.

Also, I think I need to elaborate more on what I have said before (also
quoted below). When I said nowadays artist gouaches generally don't add
filler (especially white) for opacity, it doesn't mean that only pure pigment
is added in every available color. While there are more and more artists
using gouache for permanent art works, the original applications for gouache
is for making illustrations (for temporary display or for photography for
brochures, e.g.), so there are sometimes less permanent pigment or, in some
colors, dye added! One brand has a pure magenta which has magenta dye
added.... beautiful color for illustration but not permanent.

So it is always good to examine what ingredient is in a particular color for
a particular brand.

Dave S