gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/05/03-09:42:39 AM Z

Matti,
     At our university bookstore, Rives BFK is $2.20 a sheet, in D. Smith
catalog it is $2.89, so getting almost 9 8x10's out of that, that's only
about 30 cents a print.
     Also, a tip: for those who are space-challenged, I had bought these
kiddie hangers at Walmart, a pack of 12 I think it was for a couple bucks.
They are plastic coated metal, small. I also bought plastic clothespins
from Walmart, and you can clothespin the print to a hanger and then hang
another hanger from each end of that hanger, so that you have this long line
of hangers on your shower head. Works swift.
    This is so strange--I had just brought my alt process class manual to
Kinko's to print and bind a first rough draft, and I came to school the next
day and lying on my desk was Paul Anderson's Pictorial Photography, its
Principles and Practice. No note.
     I finally found out who had left it--after I thought it had fallen out
of the heavens. It was another prof there who had found it in a stack of
books in his garage, and he thought I might be interested in reading it; it
cost him $4. He had no idea I was working thru this alt stuff! Anyway,
that is making a very short story long, but it is funny how life happens
like that. The book is dated 1917, Judy, not in the 30's. His proverbial
stain test is in there (still, presumably unless proven otherwise, Demachy
noticed the problem fully 19 years previously). And what is hilarious is how
he really does "judge" gum. He talks about tricolor gum printing as being
ok, like what we do nowadays with separation negs and RGB or CMY. But this
is what he says about freeform multi-color gum: "Some workers endeavor to
produce striking effects by printing in arbitrarily chosen colors from a
single negative, shading portions of the negative while printing one color
and the remainder of the negative while printing the other colors, or
removing the first color from certain areas of the print by scrubbing with a
stiff brush and allowing these portions to print in the second or third
color, these in turn being removed from areas where they are not desired.
The writer has never seen a print of this sort which possessed any artistic
merit whatever or could be considered anything except thoroughly
unsatisfactory."
     Little did he know there'd be a plethora of us unsatisfactory printers
today.
Chris