Re: fogging on negatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/01/03-10:40:10 AM Z

Carl Weese wrote,

>>Take some enlarging paper (cheaper than film) and load into the holders,
>>take them out into the daylight for several minutes to test for fogging.

This is not a very good test for the holders in my opinion since most
problems with the holders are caused by a failure at the light
baffle, and this kind of problem rarely manifests itself except when
the dark slides are removed. You can image what kind of test it will
be if you remove the slides in daylight!! Of course, the leak could
come from the area of the flap, perhaps because the dark slide is to
short or there is a problem with the flaps themselves. However, this
problem is much less common than leaks at the baffle.

Better test of the holders is to look through the baffles with the
slides removed, or to actually place the loaded holders in the camera
and remove the dark slides for several minutes. But to do the last
test you have to have confidence in the light integrity of the camera
itself.

Sandy