Re: cyanotype digital negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/03/03-10:33:30 PM Z

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Mary Pat McNally wrote:
> ...Does anyone have any experience with digital
> cyanotypes. Thank you, Mary Pat McNally

I found that the "curve" for a gum neg on the contrasty side was good for
cyanotype, which was a bit of a surprise... but instead of using the 256
shades of gray to make that curve, I used the transfer function and 13
steps of dot density from 0 to 100%.

It seems, however, that the ink flow is so different from each printer and
with each ink that you need to make your own curve, which is what I make
reasonably clear (I hope) in a (long) article, "Advice from a Beginner"
in P-F #8, now in Queens fighting with the printer's computer.

I'll add that on the 1160 I found Kodak backlit film better than
Pictorico. That could be because the 1160 isn't great with Pictorico, tho
the Kodak is excellent anyway.

J.