RE: C-41 in b&w chemistry

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 03/04/03-04:26:23 PM Z

Keith,

The C-41 emulsion contains three layers of silver halides and colour
couplers. Oxidation by-products of silver development combine with the
couplers to form the C, M and Y dyes, after which the silver (thinner than
in B&W film) is no longer needed and is bleach-fixed away to leave just the
three dye images. Or something like that.

With a straight b&w developer, the coloured dyes do not form and you end up
with just a thinnish silver image. Plus, I think I read somewhere, the
unused couplers contained in oily globules, which I believe can be removed
(with alcohol, perhaps?)

Liam