RE: C-41 in b&w chemistry

From: Liam Lawless (liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 03/04/03-10:52:47 PM Z

John,

Yes, sure you'd get a stain along with the developed silver, but it'd still
be a thin neg. (C41 films don't contain a lot of silver, so there'd be
correspondingly low staining.) Colour couplers are used in chromogenic
toning (where they're properly known as colour formers); maybe modern C41
films use different couplers, but some of the ones I've used in toning are
alpha-naphthol (blue), 2-4-dichloro-1-naphthol (cyan), nitrobenzyl cyanide
(magenta) and acetoacet-o-chloranilide (yellow). Don't know the chemical
formula of pyro stain (is it in Hutchings?) or of the dyes that are produced
in C41, but the colour coupler formulae don't look anything like that of
pyro.

Maybe you should ask Richard :)

Liam