Re: gum printing, coping w/ too much size

From: Jack Brubaker (jack@jackbrubaker.com)
Date: 03/05/03-10:51:30 AM Z

Judy wrote:
if the gum coat
> you're "working in" is over a previous gum layer. Often the underlayers
> are destructible, at the very least abradable... and I was wondering if
> the grinding down will hurt them. My guess is it would (sometimes even
> delicate brushing will hurt a tender layer beneath), but of course some
> coats are hard as rocks -- & so may yours be.

I don't know Judy. I only have always had the too slick size show up when
printing the first layer of gum. I did use the scotch-brite to rub down the
surface of a finished print that had some gum layers more glossy than
others. Gentle rubbing matted the gloss out of the offending areas without
effecting tonal strength (they were not thin tones however). I use
scotch-brite a lot in my metal work so always have worn pads to use when I
want a very gentle action. I think your point is well taken that if there
are delicate layers of gum on the image and one trys to abrate through a
fresh wet gum emulsion the gum under it will be softened by the wet emulsion
and could be damaged. But I'm not sure why you would want to be abrating at
that point anyway...if there are usable layers on the print I assume the
emulsion is bonding well without abrating. Perhaps your thinking of
fish-eyes that form over fingerprints or other contaminated that have
settled on the print surface. Then a little tween-20 may be the best
recourse (my grand mother taught me to put a bit of shampoo in my watercolor
if that happened).

Jack