RE: gum printing papers

From: Kerik Kouklis (kerik@kerik.com)
Date: 03/05/03-11:46:34 PM Z

Gordon,

> I've spent the last week seeing how sizing by brushing on works - and its
> been a dismal failure - results in really badly coated paper.

I've had very good results sizing paper using a combination of a glass rod
(aka Puddle Pusher) and a Hake Brush or squirrel hair brush. I've done this
on prints up to 16"X20". You may want to give this a try:

1. Heat the gelatin up to about 135 degrees F.
2. Place paper on a towel which rests on a smooth and level work surface.
(The towel helps keep good contact between the glass rod and the paper,
especially on larger prints.)
3. If your room is cold, it won't hurt to warm the paper up a bit with a
hair dryer first.
4. Use a glass rod long enough to give you plenty of sized border around
your image area. I usually use a rod as long or longer than the width of
the paper so the entire sheet gets covered.
5. While I am getting ready to size, I keep the business end of the glass
rod in a tray of hot water.
6. I then quickly dry off the glass rod and coat the paper with 2 or 3 quick
passes with the rod. I use more gelatin than I need and on the last stroke,
push the excess off the edge of the paper with the rod.
7. Then I grab the brush and do some quick, light strokes to even everything
out.

That's it. I get very even sizing this way. You can include the hardener
with the gelatin, or do it as a separate step in a tray. Personally, I
prefer this method than the complete soak approach for sizing.

Kerik