Re: gum printing papers

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 03/04/03-09:11:15 PM Z

Hi:

I did a wonderful mutlticoat gum on unsized BFK Rives. Every other paper
I've tried unsized did not work well -

Less expensive Stonehenge has been good as well - but this must be sized
and hardened. I've had best success with gelatin hardened with chrome
alum.

I've spent the last week seeing how sizing by brushing on works - and its
been a dismal failure - results in really badly coated paper.

Diluted acrylic gesso as a size has been suggested. I tried it once with
little success - but I should try again. I don't remember what paper I
tried this on.

If you are trying to get a curve that allows a single coat gum print -
you will have to get a paper/size/pigment combination that you like - then
perhaps try printing a step tablet, and base the curve on how the step
tablet prints. You would need to compress the contrast and match the
tones to the step tablet.

I'm not an expert on gum though, but I do know GIMP :)

Gord

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Matti Koskinen wrote:

> hi
>
> I'm having trouble with watercolor papers. The cheap one, that would be
> ideal for practising doesn't hold the pigments, they just get off from
> the surface. I bought two sheets of Saunders 300gsm paper and the prints
> are ok. But here one sheet costs $6 and as 99% of my prints fail, it's
> getting too expensive. What kind of paper should do the job well for
> practising? Does some sort of sizing help?
>
> Does anybody have a curve for producing digital negatives for gum print?
> I'm using Gimp, so a curve posted for cyanotype recently is the format
> I'm searching for.
>
> TIA
>
> -matti

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2