Kallitypes again

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 03/07/03-09:46:02 PM Z

Hi all,

I'm having a bad night tyring to print kallitypes and thought someone could shed some light on what might have been going wrong. My prints seem to be solarizing in the shadow areas, coming out splotchy, and printing extreamly quick (2-3 minutes) under a bank of UV flourescents.

I was trying to print a lith negative that has a density range of 1.6 on gelatin sized Stonehenge paper (w/o hardener) using a 50/50 mix of 20% ferric oxalate and 10% silver nitrate plus 4 drops of gum arabic (having sucessfully used previously).

Thinking that the gum arabic might be the culprit, I sensitized and printed a sheet with out it and got the same results. I also tried mixing fresh silver nitrate as there was a slight cloudiness to it; no change. I mixed a stronger solution (15%) of silver nitrate and that helped slightly. The ferric oxalate appears fine (clear and light colored) and the addition of hydrogen peroxide didn't help.

I am using sodium acetate for the developer (75g + 3g tartaric acid per liter). I didn't think the developer was causing my problems but I mixed a fresh batch anyway; no change.

If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to here them. Maybe it just isn't my night to print.

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net

P.S.
Reading "The New Platinum Print" I came across a paragraph saying that one could make potassium citrate by mixing potassium carbonate and citric acid but did not give quantities. Would anyone know how much of each I would need to make 1 liter?