Re: Kallitypes again

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/08/03-08:58:53 AM Z

Hi Scott,

Nothing stands out as inherently wrong about any of your procedures.
I would have suspected first the gum arabic but since you appear to
have already tested that proposition the problem may lie elsewhere.
Nonetheless I am inclined to believe that the splotchy look comes
from uneven application of the sensitizer, perhaps made more
difficult by the use of gum arabic.

You mention the density range of your lith negative, but not the
Dmin. That would tell me more about required exposure time than
density range. In kallitype you will typically see solarization in
the shadows and on the clear areas if the negative is very dense, or
very contrasty. What happens is that it takes so long to get
acceptable density in the highlights that the shadows are
overexposed, and they solarize. However, a DR of 1.6 is quite normal
and your exposures appear to be very short and I am surprised that
you would get solarization in this situation.

Something may be wrong with the silver nitrate, though the cloudy
condition you describe is not typical in my experience. When mixed
with distilled water I get a very clear 10% silver nitrate solution
within just a minute or so of mixing.

My suggestion is to make several changes at once and see what
happens. For example, try all four of the following together.

1. Try a paper other than Stonhenge.

2. Eliminate the gum arabic.

3. Develop in a 20% solution of ammonium citrate or sodium citrate
instead of sodium acetate, and use fresh solution.

4. Use another negative, preferably an in-camera negative with DR of
about 1.4 and a Dmin in the shadows of about 0.15-0.25.

If the print is still splotchy and solarized I would then suspect
either the silver nitrate or ferric oxalate solution.

Sandy