Re: First Gum Print

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/08/03-12:11:04 PM Z

Ed, did you get my jpeg? Did you get it to work for you? I am pretty sure
your problem is that you are using Fabriano Uno, not Rives, brushing too
thick a coat, and/or overexposing too much. My exposure was 12 and 24
minutes under UV and both worked. I brush developed with a hake brush. My
lamp black was D Smith. But my prints all developed out in well under an
hour. I used D. Smith gum, and a did I say 12% solution of am di. OH, my
light unit is the Jon Edwards box with BL bulbs. I would wager a bet the
biggest problem is overexposure, because if I was able to do this high a
ratio with 5 different pigments, I would think it should work. I could scan
the other pigments, too, and send you a jpeg.
     I mixed the gum/pigment equally with the sensitizer. Now I am going to
weigh inches of worms of pigment and see how that relates...
     Hey, guess what Arnold Gassan says: (my last bits of gum research were
completed today) that, contrary to popular opinion, gum *is* sensitive when
wet.
     OH, and Judy, I have another varnish for ya, from Abney's Platinotype
book (1898) by way of Vidal's article in the following mag (1886): 1/2 oz
borax, 1 dram sodium carbonate ( 3.6ml of powder? How is a liquid
measurement made of a powder??) in 10 oz water. Add 2 oz. white powdered
shellac. Boil until the shellac dissolves (Photographic News p. 829).
    OR, burnish with Castille soap dissolved in alcohol. These are both
platinum methods of gloss, not specifically related to gum.
Chris