Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/08/03-10:57:11 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>> I should add that I took Stevens at his word regarding the level of
>> difficulty in getting an even coating with a colloid added to the
>> sensitizer and must confess that I have personally never tested the
>> concept. His book is not a very good manual for making kallitypes but
>> I have a great deal of respect for the methodology and exhaustiveness
>> of his testing procedures so trusted his results on this.
>
>Well again, to repeat myself --- Stevens has done a lot of testing, but
>he's put it in the mixmaster...

Yes about the mixmaster approach. However, if you go back and repeat
any of the tests in his book I strongly suspect that you will get the
same result.

>I recall (just for example, there
>were many & it was years ago) he said higher percent of silver makes a
>bluer tone, and a page later, redder tone... or maybe it was vice versa..
>His claims about print color by changing developers are also fantasy.

This is absurd. A wide range of print colors can be achieved with
different developers.

>BUT PS. I would think (and this is just a guess) that a colloid added to
>sensitizer could diminish D-max. My guess is based on 2 notions:
>
>1. if it worked, it would have become standard practice

I agree. There is nothing to be gained by adding a colloid to the sensitizer.

Sandy

Sandy