Re: Just wondering (2)

From: Henry Rattle (henry.rattle@ntlworld.com)
Date: 03/10/03-05:16:29 PM Z

Like Sandy, I make gum prints because of the pleasure of process, and of
discovery. With resources like this list and the various books, it canšt be
said that I am discovering anything new, but working out personal twists and
methods is very satisfying. The sheer pleasure of mixing, coating, exposing,
developing...

...watching a single thought-about image grow, coat by coat, colour by
colour, over perhaps two or three days, beats watching a thousand churn out
of the inkjet. Carefully choosing pigments and papers that will last for
centuries isnšt hubris, but contains the hope that perhaps one or two of
these images may be thought worth keeping by our children, and even by their
children. I like to give a picture to friends, knowing that it represents an
application of craft, an investment of time, as well as being a reminder of
a shared experience.

And all the time there is a huge territory still to explore. What else can I
do with this flexible technique? A thousand things. And if gum should ever
pall, therešs all the others just waiting to be tried...

Henry