Re: chemigrams

From: Jean Daubas (j.daubas.photo@free.fr)
Date: 03/16/03-06:19:15 PM Z

Hi Paula "Polli" !

You are "tracking" info about "Chimigrammes" (that's the French spelling
for what is written in English "Chemigram"). Roger Kokaerts just wrote to
you, speaking of his Belgian friend artist Pierre Cordier who is generally
considered as the founder and master of the chemigram technique. Pierre
Cordier writes himself that he invented the chemigram process in 1956.
I join Roger Kockaerts in thinking that Pierre Cordier's chimigrammes are
probably the most advanced representative works of this technique. I do not
personally know Pierre Cordier but I read long time ago a very interesting
article where he speaks about the history of his process, the artistic
reasons which led him in this way and some info about his working methods.
Several color reproductions of some of his works illustrate the article as
well as a simplified "How to..." procedure. I always kept this article on
the top of the heaps of written info which I accumulate since I myself tried
to realize some chemigrams [very simple ones ;-) ]..

The reference for this article is : "Art & Alchemy", chemigrams by Pierre
Cordier; text by Steve Pollock. In "Camera Arts", December 1982 , cover
picture + pages 26-35.
 I do not know if you may get this issue of late (in this form) C.A.
magazine. if you have problem and if you wish to get this article, just feel
free to ask me and we shall find together a way for you to receive it.

There is another French artist practicing "Chimigrammes" : Marie-Louise
Bréhant who belongs (as myself) to the French alt photo Association
"Hélios". she is a very kind and lively woman of 83 years old and she has
some Chimigrammes shown on the site of Association Hélios. you just have to
type the Helios URL :
http://www.foto-sapiens.com/helios/heliosf.html
>From the Home page, just click on the menu 'les Techniques" and at the
bottom of these, you will find "chimigrammes". clicking there will open for
you a page with some of Marie-Louise' 's chemigrams, (and among them several
of her combined "mordançages on chemigrams").

I hope you may find some useful info for your research work, Paula...

Cheers from France,
Jean

Jean Daubas, auteur-photographe
16 rue de Bourg-Sec