Re: Gum printing, staining, pigment stain

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 03/19/03-02:46:09 AM Z

Grafist@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 19/03/03 04:20:31 GMT Standard Time, kthayer@pacifier.com
> writes:
>
> > I also tested sensitizing the paper, drying, and putting a layer of
> > > pigment and gum on top (one of Wall's ideas) and it worked--weird.
> Hi Chris and Katherine and All,
> A quicky, for
> now...........Wall's idea? Did he expand on this theory and did he make
> acceptable full tone prints with it? If so what did he call the process?

I don't know anything about Wall, but I just have a speculation:

I suspect that the reason the method of mixing the dichromate in with
the gum is the method that has survived over time and these others fell
by the wayside, is that it works better and is more likely to harden the
gum throughout, rather than just hardening the bottom part that's in
proximity to the dichromate, which I suspect is what may happen here.
Katharine