Re: Gum printing, staining, pigment stain

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/19/03-11:02:33 AM Z

John,
     Here I thought it was a revolutionary concept, but it isn't. I have
encountered it in a number of books now that I have read.
     I'm really anal in that when I want to delve into a topic I feel I have
to read EVERYTHING in print on it or I may miss some key revelation. That
creates way more time for me than needs be, and way more expense in buying
used books, and in essence I do A LOT of reinventing the wheel, which I have
here. After I found this in arcane books, I also found it was in Scopick
all along.
     With that long preamble, here is the research abbreviated:
     Soak the paper in a 10% pot di solution and dry. This keeps
indefinitely. When ready to use, coat with your gum/pigment mixture.
Demachy and others water it down to make it spread easier, using as much
water as you would the pot bi.
     However, what I had done was I had coated paper with a
gum/sensitizer/no pigment mix and let that dry to expose it, and never got
around to it, so I coated a layer of just gum/pigment on top of it and that
worked really nicely. Totally clear whites, very sharp detail. I am not
sure why you would want to do that? But it worked; it was just a way I did
it to not waste paper, because I was planning on exposing the unpigmented
gum to the negative and decided not to.
     Reading this whole paragraph, it doesn't make sense, but I hope you get
it--it would be silly to include gum in the pot di presensitized paper if
you are also going to include it in the gum/pigment, what's the point? Just
use the pot di to soak or brush onto the paper and include gum one time, so
that way no dark reaction would occur with the previously sensitized paper.
I did not get any dark reaction anyway with the paper sitting a couple days.
But it is POSSIBLE that the dark reaction could harden the gum and create
less staining underneath the pigmented layer. I would have to (again) test
side by side sensitized paper with just pot di and sensitized paper with pot
di mixed with gum.
     But what I did do, too, was rubbed powdered pigment on top of the
presensitized paper and that stuck in proportion to the exposure, so that is
another sort of "dusting on" possibility to experiment with. So many tests,
so little time....and excuse my lack of clarity in writing--I am rushing out
the door.
Chris